Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summa Time...!

It's officially summer, with temps hitting almost to 100! RIDICULOUS! Though we don't have a grill, I was craving something "summery" and thought "BURGERS!" yeah, well. I improvised. 

Black Bean Burgers

1 15oz can black beans
1 C bread crumbs
1 egg
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 t garlic
1 t cumin
1/2 onion
1/2 red pepper

This is my own recipe and it's delicious! Except when you put in way to much cayenne pepper. I use a food processor to chop my onion and red pepper to avoid the teary eyed syndrome. I mush up my black beans with a fork, add the onion, red pepper and remainng ingredients and mix well. Form them into patties and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Flip half way if desired :) In the last 5-10 minutes I throw on a slice of thick extra sharp wisconsin cheddar to make it extra delicious! Toast your buns and top with favorite hamburger dressings. 

To go along with this, I make homemade french fries. Simply because I HATE not knowing how my food is made. So .... I make little potato wedges with my handy dandy knife and coat them with an olive oil, cracked pepper and garlic mix and bake until golden brown and sizzly at 350! 

and to top it all of 
because it is SUMMER TIME! ...

Caramelized Banana Ice Cream

If you don't have an ice cream maker. Make it a priority. OMG. Best gift ever! (Thanks mom and dad!)

4-5 medium overripe bananas, sliced into 1" pieces
1 t cinnamon
1/4 c brown sugar
1 T melted butter
2 C heavy cream
1 C whole milk
1/2 C sugar 
2 t vanilla

Bananas: coat bananas with a mixture of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Let cool completely. Blend until smooth. 

Ice cream: whisk together milk, cream, sugar and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Add in cooled banana mixture. Chill. Follow your ice cream maker's directions to finish - YUMMMMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment