Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Big Problem!

So ... there's a problem with cooking all these new dishes. I can't stop eating! Yes, MOST of it is relatively healthy, but good heavens! I sure hope I can control myself when I'm not pregnant anymore. Although, I've only gained 1 pound in the last 3 weeks, so ... ugh ... guess it's not much of a problem. 

I have another new favorite dish. It's sitting in a bowl next to me right now. I don't have a lot of room in my tummy, so I'm trying to spread it out a bit so I can enjoy a lot more! What is this magical dish? ...

Chicken and Vegetable Peanut Noodles

1/2 bag Quorn chicken tenders
1/2 C smooth peanut butter
2 T soy sauce
2 t chile - garlic paste
2 t chopped garlic cloves
1 t ground ginger root
8 oz  noodles of choice 
12 oz chopped vegetables

Cook chicken according to package directions. Cook noodles according to package directions, less 1 minute. I used organic whole wheat soba noodles. YUM! While chicken and noodles are cooking, cook vegetables of choice (I used baby carrots and broccoli for some delicious color!)  in a method of your choice ... I chose to use my babycook to steam them. 

While noodles, chicken and veggies are cooking, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, chile paste, ground ginger, and garlic. It will be thick - no worries! 

When noodles have 1 minute left to cook, add in vegetables and continue to boil for one minute. Save 1 cup of cooking water, and continue to drain the noodles and veggies. Run under cold water to refresh the noodles and veggies. Remember that 1 C of cooking water? Mix it into the peanut butter sauce! I know ... it sounds odd, and I was skeptical. But the hot water dissolves and blends all the yummy flavors together and massively thins it out to a perfect consistency. Once mixed well, add the peanut sauce, noodles, chicken and veggies together and toss. Serve hot or cold. 

Thoughts: 
Him: At a bible study - has his mouth watering in anticipation! 

Her: This is DELICIOUS! One of my new favorites, for sure. It's a BIT spicy so next time I'll back off the spices or chile paste a tad, but it has such a wonderful flavor. It's a great way to sneak in some vegetables without them being in your face and having to force them down. The sauce mixture tastes delicious on it all! 

D : Nummy nummy nummy (noodles) yuck (carrots). She couldn't get enough of the noodles! It might as well have been mac and cheese for all she was concerned ... they were going in faster than I could have ever imagined. However, when she got a carrot slice, she spit it out. I know she loved carrot puree as a baby, I guess maybe she's just not a fan of the texture ... not to self- find recipes to include veggie purees. 

Overall - MORE PLEASE! 

Dessert - I had a handful of fresh raspberries and am on my way to make my first batch of ice cream for the summer ... banana! 

No comments:

Post a Comment