Sunday, May 30, 2010

Falafel PItas

SO ... a couple years ago I was in a pretty serious relationship ... that is, we were pretty serious about food! This gentleman was a wonderful person, just clearly not for me. I learned a LOT from him, as he is a cancer survivor, originally diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma. Chances were slim that he would survive, and after many traditional chemo treatments failed, he turned to a very rigorous diet and exercise program, including a nearly 100% organic and raw diet. Upon achieving remission, he continued to carry those lifestyle habits with him. 

After several months of dating, we found ourselves cooking dinner together almost every night. Let me tell you ... by honoring his comittment to an organic and ridiculously healthy diet, my grocery bill skyrocketed ... a big change from easy mac bowls and soy dogs! It was well worth it, though ... I discovered my love for running and eating a healthy and well balanced vegetarian diet, which I carried with me for much longer than I carried our relationship. 

One of the "discoveries" I uncovered is how much disgusting and unpronouncable CRAP is in a lot of boxed food items, though there are some not as bad things out there. One of my favorite "boxed" food items is falafel ... yep! Just add water and DEEP FRY! Healthy, right? Hmm. 

So, the last few months I've been testing out a few different homemade falafel recipes ... and this time even baked them for a healthier alternative! Here is the recipe I followed ...

1 15 oz can garbanzo beans
1 onion
1 egg
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
pinch cayenne
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon juice
1 C dry bread crumbs
pinch salt/pepper

Using a fork (apparently a food processor will not create the right texture), mash up garbanzo beans until kinda creamy ... I found it helped to microwave the beans for 30-45 seconds to soften them before mashing. In a food processor, blend garlic and onion until smooth. Add into garbanzo mush, mixing in the egg and all spices, lemon juice and baking soda. Gradually add in dry bread crumbs until desired texture is attained. 

Roll into 2 inch balls and flatten into patties. Bake at 450 for 20 minutes on the first side, flip patties and bake for 10 minutes on alternate side. Let cool. 

Yogurt Dill Sauce 
1 6 oz container plain yogurt
1/2 cucumber, seeded, peeled and finely chopped
1 T dill

The original recipe also called for 1 T mayonnaise, but it was great without it. Mix all ingredients together ... I HATE chopping, so I dumped all ingredients into my food processor along with a clove of chopped garlic ... and WALLAH! Delish! 

Pile on falafel patties (1 used 3-4), yogurt dill sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced cucumbers onto a whole wheat flatbread and chow down! 

Delicious side dish : Tabouleh with grape tomato and avacado :) 

Critique: 
Him: It had a good flavor, but I'd rather have it fried
Her: Delicious! It was much tastier knowing it wasn't ladden with oil, but it lacks in protein so it didn't satisfy for very long. But then again I'm pregnant and need to eat hourly anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment