Sunday, May 30, 2010

Creamy Summer Chicken Pasta

I am just so excited that summer has arrived! Some of my very favorite things about this season include ... 

ICE CREAM! Blueberry pies. Peaches. Nectarines. Strawberry Shortcakes. Dog parks. ICE CREAM. In fact, I think I'll go have an ice cream sandwich now! Margaritas (virgin this year .... ). looking forward to Danika running through the sprinklers. American flags waving in the wind. Thunderstorms. Iced sweet, refresshing tea. Lemonade. Ice cream. :) Just a few! Always more ... 

One of my favorite things is the availability of inexpensive, but healthy and fresh fruits and veggies. When I was pregnant with Danika through the summer, I ate 5-6 peaches DAILY! Delicious! Here is a recipe that I made 2 days ago and will make many times more ...

Creamy Summer Chicken Pasta

2 C Heavy Whipping Cream (you know when THAT is the first ingredient, it will be good!)
1 T Butter
2 C Shredded Cheese
2 Zucchini, peeled and sliced
2 Squash, peeled and sliced
1 C grape tomatoes, halved
3 T olive oil
2 T Garlic
1 T Rosemary
8 oz spiral pasta
chicken (I used 1/2 bag Quorn chicken tender substitute)

Cook spiral pasta according to directions on label. While the pasta is cooking, warm heavy whipping cream and butter until butter melts. Add cheese and stir until melted ... take off heat but keep warm. 

In the meantime, heat oil and 1 T garlic ... sautee squash and zucchini until tender. 

Heat 1 T oil and 1 T garlic ... cook chicken as normal (Not sure what that means!) ... sprinkle rosemary over chicken as it cooks. 

Once pasta has been drained, add cheese sauce, vegetables, tomatoes, and chicken to the pasta, stir well. Allow to cook and sauce to thicken, about 10 minutes. Enjoy! 

Critique: 
Him: I wish I had real chicken! It was a delicious meal, but as I am not a fan of zucchini (or veggetables in general) I would have prefered them to be left out. 

Her: OMG! Most favorite meal I've had in a long time! It was absolutely delightful, and a little bit sinful knowing how much fat there was in this :) I think next time I might substitute fat free evaporated milk for a lower fat meal. The combination of squash and zucchini added a nice flavor and the tomatoes added an occasional surprise bite! Danika loved the noodles (noodoos) and even didn't seem to mind the veggies! This is definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment