Sunday, January 1, 2012

White Chicken Chili - in the Microwave!


I've been working part time at Kohls through the holidays and am coming to the end of a 9 day run of working nights ... I've been struggling to find healthy meals I can cook during the day for them to warm up at dinner time to provide a healthy, delicious meal. Let me tell you ... I've found my favorite recipe so far. This is healthy, easy and so delicious!

Microwave White Chicken Chili from The Pampered Chef


3 whole heads garlic (about 48 cloves), unpeeled
3/4 tsp salt, divided
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 poblano peppers (I skipped these!)
1 medium onion
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp Southwestern Seasoning Mix
2 cans (15.5 oz each) Great Northern beans, drained
1 jar (16 oz) salsa verde

Slice about 1/4 in. off the pointed top of garlic heads to expose cloves. Place garlic cut side up in Classic Batter Bowl. Sprinkle garlic with 1/4 tsp of the salt and drizzle with 2 tbsp of the oil. Cover batter bowl with lid; microwave on HIGH 3 minutes or until garlic is soft. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, finely dice peppers and chop onion using Food Chopper. Combine peppers and onion in Deep Covered Baker. Trim and finely dice chicken. Add chicken, seasoning mix, remaining 1 tbsp oil and remaining 1/2 tsp salt to baker; mix well using Master Scraper. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 4 minutes; stir to separate chicken. Cover; microwave an additional 4-6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Meanwhile, gently squeeze cooled garlic from heads into batter bowl (discard skins); mash using Mix ‘N Masher. Add beans and salsa to batter bowl. Transfer bean mixture to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 5-7 minutes or until chili is heated through.
Yield: 8 servings (8 cups)

Nutrients per serving: Light (1 cup): Calories 230, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Carbohydrate 21 g, Protein 21 g, Sodium 750 mg, Fiber 4 g

Cook's Tips: Taco seasoning mix can be substituted for the Southwestern Seasoning Mix, if desired. Omit salt.

Serve this chili with optional toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges, diced avocado or chopped cilantro.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts can be substituted for the chicken thighs, if desired.

PLEASE NOTE: I use Quorn Chicken Tender meat substitute in all my "chicken" dishes ... it's soy and meat free, and delicious! I typically cook the main dish without any meat, and then cook my meat substitute and meat seperately to add in for protein.

***

The verdict? I stuck my finger in the chili before I left for work and it was good, but spicy. I shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a dallop of sour cream ... and tadah! AMAZING. I ate it at work and literally wanted to drive home for more. It says serving size "8" ... I think more like 2. Because it's that good. and easy. and healthy. Lotsa protein and flavor!! ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment